Am Watt. 1955.
Lithograph in colors.
Ebner/Gabelmann 987 L II b (of II b). Dube L 363 I b 2. Signed, dated and titled. According to Dube, 23 copies are known. On firm off-white paper. 22 x 27 cm (8.6 x 10.6 in). Sheet: 55,5 x 44,8 cm (21,9 x 17,6 in).
• The year the work was made, Heckel showed his works at the first documenta in Kassel.
• Throughout his life, Heckel preferably spent the summers by the sea, especially the Baltic, where he and his wife Siddi had a small farmhouse.
• As early as in 1907, Heckel and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff went to the North Sea for the first time, in later years he would regularly return to spent the summer months on the island of Sylt.
• The same year he also made the woodcut "Nordseeküste" (Dube H 412).
• Over the past 10 no copy of of this color lithograph was offered on the international auction market (source: artprice.com).
PROVENANCE: Hermann Gerlinger Collection, Würzburg (with the collector's stamp, Lugt 6032).
EXHIBITION: Schleswig-Holsteinisches Landesmuseum, Schloss Gottorf, Schleswig (permanent loan from the Hermann Gerlinger Collection, 1995-2001).
Kunstmuseum Moritzburg, Halle an der Saale (permanent loan from the Hermann Gerlinger Collection, 2001-2017).
Buchheim Museum, Bernried (permanent loan from the Hermann Gerlinger Collection, 2017-2022).
LITERATURE: Heinz Spielmann (ed.), Die Maler der Brücke. Sammlung Hermann Gerlinger, Stuttgart 1995, p. 348, SHG no. 566 (with illu. p. 349).
Hermann Gerlinger, Katja Schneider (eds.), Die Maler der Brücke. Inventory catalog Hermann Gerlinger Collection, Halle (Saale) 2005, pp. 261f., SHG no. 594 (with illu.).
For information concerning the condition, please view the high resolution image / backside image.