Asphodelos 3. 1957.
Mixed media, oil and sand on canvas.
Signed and dated in lower right. Titled and with the stamp of a paint supplies store on the reverse. 65 x 47.5 cm (25.5 x 18.7 in).
In artist frame. [KT].
• Moving work by the important representative of German Informalism.
• In 1959, 1964 and 1977 he participated in documenta II, III and 6 in Kassel.
• From the same year of creation as the important documenta picture “For Berlin”.
• In 1958, Schumacher's works were shown in the German pavilion at the Venice Biennale.
• Other works from the 1950s are now part of important museum collections like the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Hamburger Kunsthalle and the Kunsthalle Karlsruhe.
PROVENANCE: Walter Bischoff Galerie.
Private collection Baden-Württemberg.
LITERATURE: Villa Grisebach, Berlin, Kunst des 19. und 20. Jahrhunderts, auction on June 5, 1999, lot 367 (fig.).
For information concerning the condition, please view the high resolution image / backside image.