Art (1945-contemporary) > Expressionism Erich Heckel - Biography
Zauberkünstler (Erinnerung an Paul Klee). 1956.
Ebner/Gabelmann 991 H. Dube H 416 II. (of II.). Signed, dated, titled and inscribed "Probe". Hand-olored trial proof aside from the edition of 60 copies (according to the information Heckel provided on the printing block). On wove paper. 38.4 x 25.2 cm (15.1 x 9.9 in). Sheet: 49,8 x 35 cm (19,5 x 13,8 in).
• Captivating posthumously made portrait of the famous fellow artist in frontal view.
• In 1954 Heckel rendered first homage to the highly esteemed Paul Klee, who passed aways in 1940, with the painting "Der Zauberer".
• In the print medium, which was so important for the "Brücke" artists, Heckel also portrayed Otto Mueller, E. L. Kirchner and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff.
• Another (uncolored) copy of this woodcut is in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York.
• In 1955 the artist participated in the first Documenta in Kassel.
The work is registered in the archive of the Erich Heckel Estate, Hemmenhofen on Lake Constance. We are grateful to Renate Ebner and Hans Geissler for the kind support in cataloging this lot.
PROVENANCE: Artist's estate.
Hermann Gerlinger Collection, Würzburg (acquired from the above in 1983, with the collector's stamp, Lugt 6032).
EXHIBITION: Schleswig-Holsteinisches Landesmuseum, Schloss Gottorf, Schleswig (permanent loan from the Hermann Gerlinger Collection, 1995-2001).
Kunstmuseum Moritzburg, Halle an der Saale (permanent loan from the Hermann Gerlinger Collection, 2001-2017).
Buchheim Museum, Bernried (permanent loan from the Hermann Gerlinger Collection, 2017-2022).
LITERATURE: Heinz Spielmann (ed.), Die Maler der Brücke. Sammlung Hermann Gerlinger, Stuttgart 1995, p. 352, SHG no. 572 (with illu.).
Hermann Gerlinger, Katja Schneider (eds.), Die Maler der Brücke. Inventory catalog Hermann Gerlinger Collection, Halle (Saale) 2005, p. 265, SHG no. 600 (with illu.).
In good condition. With faint handling marks, kinks and rubbed spots and tiny isolated stains in margins. [JS]
For information concerning the condition, please view the high resolution image / backside image.